3/2/06

Change Is Hard

For the past few months, Mom has been wanting to get me a new blanket for my bed. My old one wasn't originally bought for my big boy bed - My Mama Terry purchased it a long time ago on clearance to put in the bottom of my play tent, and it ended up in my bed. It has been washed so many times (during those potty training weeks) and wasn't as warm as it could have been. Or so those were mom's reasons. I did not see anything wrong with what I already had "a blue blanket with the cars on it."

Several weeks ago Mom bought what they call a "duvet" cover to put over the comforter thinking that it would make it look a little nicer and I'd still get to keep the blanket I seemed so attached to. That didn't work. I absolutely refused to use it. At night I'd go to bed without any blanket. Mom or Dad would come in my room and put it on me after I fell asleep, and they'd check on me again later only to find it on the floor. I'm that stubborn.
(Wonder where that comes from?)

Mom's next attempt was to show me pictures of several blankets in a catalog. One had robots (one of my favorite things), but that didn't appeal to me either. I was set on using that "blue blanket with the cars on it." Mom had pretty much almost given up, until she saw a quilt blanket set on Ebay one night. She asked me to look at the pictures on the computer. The one she found I didn't like. And even though she kept talking about it (Dad calls it nagging), I wasn't budging. In fact, since she kept trying to show me other pictures on the computer, I went into my room and brought the "blue blanket with the cars on it" out to her and politely told her:
"This is my blanket Mom! I'm not using any of those pictures in my bed!"

She found several that any little boy would love ~ rocket ships, sail boats, bugs/insects, construction trucks, more robots.....Then one afternoon she asked me if I'd please look at one more picture. It was her lucky day (or my un-stubborn day). I actually liked it. I asked if they were giving my "blue blanket with the cars on it" to another little boy who needed a blanket (because we gave some things to a little boy at Christmas). Mom explained that we would take my old comforter to Mama & Papa Vote's house and I can use it on my little bed there. Seemed like a good plan to me. So she bought it (for what was a very good price ~ Mom is good at comparing prices and finding good deals).
She said it would be in the mail soon.

Tuesday, I came home from school and when I got in the house I ran to my room. Being all dramatic (which I can be good at), I came out of my room asking Mom why my new blanket wasn't here yet? Two days later it arrived. We got it out and made my bed all nice (it probably won't stay that way after one night of tossing & turning). I love it! We packed the old blanket in the car to take Mama & Papa's house tomorrow. I went to bed with no problems, no complaints, no issues. Sometimes change is just really hard.

Now it's my "blanket with red cars and blue clouds on it."