3/19/06

ER TRIP

This past weekend I had a little accident. On Saturday I went with Mom to run some errands. We went to her office and then to the store. When we came home, she reached back and unbuckled me from my car seat. Then she came around and opened the side door. The unfortunate part is that I was holding onto the door handle, so when the door came open I fell out on my head. We have a large SUV and it was a pretty good fall. Not to mention the garage floor is concrete.

Here is the worst part. Mom says I was unconscious for about 30 seconds (which seemed like eternity to her). She tried to catch me and couldn't. It all happened so fast. She quickly picked me up and sat with me on a bench in our garage. I woke up screaming and crying. Which is a good thing actually. As much as Mom was scared, she was glad to hear me screaming. My head was swollen, but nothing huge.
Mom decided we need to go to the emergency room to let them check me out. Granted this isn't my first ER experience, but it's my first accident at home. Visiting the ER was indeed an experience in itself. I was pretty well calmed down by the time the doctor finally came in to see me. The face you see in the picture is about how I looked when we arrived at the hospital. Not so happy. I was excited about the bracelets I got to wear. Dad arrived shortly behind us (he had been playing golf). They did the usual things checking me over. I had a CAT scan done of my head ~ which I thought was a big space ship. It had red lights and this thing went in a circle and the bed I laid on moved. I laid very still and did such a good job they gave me a teddy bear.

Thankfully, the CAT scan was normal. The ER doctor kept telling Mom and Dad that he didn't understand how I could fall onto a concrete floor, head first, and not have something wrong with me. Needless to say, Mom had a very hard time not saying something back. She said that anyone who is unconscious after a fall should be checked out. So after 4 1/2 hours of "checking me out" we got to go home. It was past my bedtime and I hadn't even eaten dinner! Mom & Dad promised me a Happy Meal if I did lay still for the CAT Scan, so that's what we had for dinner. Then it was bedtime.
Mom & Dad were "instructed" to check on me an hour after I went to sleep, which they did. I was fine as far as they could tell. Around 10:30 p.m. I was throwing up everywhere. Mom called the pediatrician after-hours number and spent 30 minutes on the phone only to have a lady in California from some 800 service tell her that the "guide book instructs us to go to the ER." Again, Mom was not very pleased. So inbetween me throwing up and them changing my clothes, we headed back.

This time we had a different doctor who after another 3 hours explained to us that I had a pretty serious head concusion and that I just needed to be monitored closely for 24 hours. They gave me some medicine to help with the throwing up (and it did). Dad and I slept out on the couches, so he could hear me if I needed anything. Once again Mom was a bit upset that there was indeed something wrong with me, despite the first doctor questioning her. I've been playing most of the day today and feel ok. My head is a little sore. I did take a 4 1/2 hour nap today though! That might be a record?

Bottom line is I'm ok. For that we're all grateful. It was quite a scare for Mom & Dad ~ twice. We're instituting some new guidelines with unbuckling me from my car seat to try and avoid this from happening again.